CORONAVIRUS: MANAGEMENT OF MEDICAL WASTE
MedAssure recognizes that our customers may have concerns about the handling of medical waste with known or suspected Coronavirus (COVID-19) contamination. We are continuously monitoring the government information released on this matter,and have been taking precautionary measures in order to manage the COVID-19 pandemic.
As a Courtesy to our Drivers & Plant Workers:
MedAssure would like its customers to notify us in advance of any pickup that may contain Coronavirus (COVID-19) waste. We kindly ask that you place a label on those containers reading:
“CORONA or COVID-19”.
The labeling will help raise awareness for our drivers and plant workers. MedAssure is monitoring the situation with health authorities for any new information or updates on special precautions. Currently, government agencies are not requiring any special packaging for this waste other than what is normally required under USDOT Div. 6.2 – Regulated Medical Waste (RMW).
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has developed interim guidance for businesses that includes planning considerations and recommendations for developing an infectious disease outbreak response plan.
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) hosts a web page summarizing OSHA standards and directives and other related information that may apply to worker exposure to COVID-19. Please also monitor OSHA’s COVID-19 web page for any potential updates or recommendations.
- Resources for Healthcare Facilities
- Interim Guidance for Nursing Homes
- Information for Healthcare Professionals – Current Interim Guidance
- Interim Guidance for Laboratories
- Preventing COVID-19 Spread in Communities
- Health Departments: Interim Guidance for Risk Assessment and Monitoring
- Environmental Cleaning and Disinfection Recommendations Interim Recommendations for US Community Facilities with Suspected/Confirmed Coronavirus Disease 2019
OSHA Resource Links:
- Guidance on Preparing Workplaces for COVID-19
- Understand how OSHA standards apply to protecting workers from COVID-19